The 2023 NC Spider Search will take place in fall 2023, dates TBD. You can participate anywhere in North Carolina!
How to Participate
- Find a place to make observations of spiders.
- Take photos of as many species as you can find with the iNaturalist smartphone app or use a camera and upload them through the iNaturalist website. You do not need to know how to identify the things you see – the app or website will help you!
- Submit your observations through the Naturalist website or app, available for Android and Apple! All observations must be uploaded to iNaturalist by October 7 to count toward the NC Mushroom Quest.
New to iNaturalist? Check out our Quick Guides to iNaturalist for Android and Apple phones! They will walk you through how to use the smartphone apps and website to submit your observations to iNaturalist. We also have training videos available for the City Nature Challenge – the process is the same for NC Mushroom Quest.
Find a Local Event
You can get involved in the NC Mushroom Quest anywhere in the state. Participate on your own or join one of the in person and virtual programs offered by our collaborative.
Visit the NC Mushroom Quest event page to find a program near you!
Earn the NC Spider Search Badge!
You can earn a custom embroidered badge by participating in the NC Mushroom Quest! Follow these two easy steps to claim yours:
- Make observations! Find and photograph 7 spiders of any species in North Carolina and upload them to iNaturalist.
- Report your participation and claim your badge!
Educator Resources (COMING SOON)
Are you an educator who would like to get your students involved in the NC Mushroom Quest? Check out our educational resources for ideas for how to incorporate mushroom observations into your teaching!