The 2023 NC Moth Week is part of National Moth Week and will take place Saturday, July 22 through Sunday, July 30. You can participate anywhere in North Carolina!
How to Participate
- Find a place to make observations of moths! Find a place that you can visit safely at night between July 23 and July 30.
- Turn on some lights! Any lights will do, but if you want to attract even more species, consider using a UV bulb (LED UV bulbs are available at hardware stores) or light fixture (many options available online).
- Take photos of as many species as you can find with the iNaturalist smartphone app or use a camera. You do not need to know how to identify the things you see – the app or website will help you!
- Submit your observations through the Naturalist website or app, available for Android and Apple! All observations must be uploaded to iNaturalist by August 7 to count toward the NC Moth Week.
New to iNaturalist? Check out our Quick Guides to iNaturalist for Android and Apple phones! They will walk you through how to use the smartphone apps and website to submit your observations to iNaturalist. We also have training videos available for the City Nature Challenge – the process is the same for NC Moth Week.
Find a Local Event
You can get involved in the NC Moth Week anywhere in the state. Participate on your own or join one of the many in person and virtual programs offered by our collaborative.
Visit the NC Moth Week event page to find a program near you!
Earn the NC Moth Week Badge!
You can earn a custom embroidered badge by participating in the NC Moth Week! Follow these two easy steps to claim yours:
- Make observations! Find and photograph 10 moths of any species in North Carolina July 23-30 and upload them to iNaturalist by August 7.
- Report your participation and claim your badge!
Educator Resources (COMING SOON)
Are you a non-formal educator who would like to get your students involved in the NC Moth Week? Check out our educational resources for ideas for how to incorporate moth observations into your teaching!