The 2022 NC Bioblitz is part of the international City Nature Challenge event and will take place Friday, April 29 through Monday, May 2. You can participate anywhere in North Carolina!
How to Participate
- Find a place to make observations of wild species! Visit a favorite local park, a natural area, or your own backyard between April 29 and May 2.
- Take photos of as many species as you can find with the iNaturalist smartphone app or use a camera. You do not need to know how to identify the things you see – the app or website will help you!
- Submit your observations through the Naturalist website or app, available for Android and Apple! All observations must be uploaded to iNaturalist by May 8 to count toward the NC Bioblitz and City Nature Challenge.
New to iNaturalist? Check out our Quick Guides to iNaturalist for Android and Apple phones! They will walk you through how to use the smartphone apps and website to submit your observations to iNaturalist. We also have training videos available on the North Carolina City Nature Challenge website!
Find a Local Event
You can get involved in the NC Bioblitz anywhere in the state. Participate on your own or join one of the many in person and virtual programs offered by our collaborative.
Earn the NC Bioblitz Badge!
You can earn a custom embroidered badge by participating in the NC Bioblitz! Follow these steps to claim yours:
- Make observations! You have two options:
- Make 30 observations of any wild species in North Carolina between April 29 and May 2 and upload them to iNaturalist by May 8.
- Make 15 observations and make 25 identifications. Observations must be made between April 29 and May 2, but all observations and identifications may be done in iNaturalist any time between April 29 and May 8.
- Report your participation and claim your badge!
Are you a formal educator who would like to get your students involved in the NC Bioblitz? Check out the City Nature Challenge educator resources for ideas for how to use the event in your classroom!